Monday, February 14, 2011

Vegan Creamed Corn & Pasta

Sunday is my favorite day of the week.
Typically Sunday means that Dan is home in the morning, we have something for breakfast, I get things done (cleaning) and change the sheets and wash the quilt on our bed.  Then we have some visitors and hang out for a while, and then finish the day with my favorite t.v. shows in my nice clean bed! =)

This Sunday I planned for my friends Meghann and Jessie to come over.  Our plan was to go sledding and then I was going to make dinner.  
(this is Jessie getting ready to slide, Meghann falling off her sled, and Dan just standing! haha)
The only problem is that they are vegan...and Dan is very NOT vegan.  But I found a recipe and adapted it for everyone!

salt
1 lb linguine
Olive Oil
1 package Tempah- Bacon flavored
1 big bag of frozen corn
2 small bags frozen crisp & sweet corn
3 shallots, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
black pepper
1 small container soy coffee creamer
2 Tbs. thyme
3/4 cup white wine
a few dashes "frank's red hot" or other hot sauce
a couple handfuls of chopped fresh parsley
2 Tbs. basil
Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (optional)

First things first, boil a big pot of water and cook your linguine.

I chopped everything up first, so that I wouldn't be rushed.

Next I put a little drizzle of Olive Oil in a frying pan and added the Tempah (or "facon" as we call it).  And browned it a little on each side.

After that I removed it from the pan and chopped it up into little bits.

Then I added the shallots, garlic and tomatoes to the pan (you may need a little extra olive oil) and sauteed for a few minutes.  Then I added half of the corn.

Next I took the other half of the corn and combined in with the cream in my food processor and I pureed it all until it was more smooth than chunky.

Then I added the thyme and wine to the corn/tomato mixture and let it reduce for a minute, then I stirred in the corn/cream mixture.  I reduced the heat to a simmer and let the mixture thicken.


Add the hot sauce and adjust the salt and pepper.  Drain the pasta, and toss with the sauce and parsley...for Dan and I, I sprinkled with cheese

I think we all agreed that this meal is a keeper (vegan and all!)

No comments:

Post a Comment